Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blessings to you

Savita graduated creditably five years back in English literature. Since then she has been trying hard to get a clerical job but has not been successful. Wherever there was an entrance test, she cleared them but got rejected at the interview stage. They do not assign any reason and only her name is not in the final list. She is smart with very good communication skill. It is not her fault that she is short, limped after a polio attack and had a flat wide nose. To make matters worse, the teeth were also not well aligned and showed prominently.
She needed a job badly. Her mom an elementary school teacher had retired. She often approached the recruiting agency and sought to meet the MD.The front desk people tried to  turn her away giving different reasons that he was busy or out of station or against dealing with candidates directly. But on this day she loudly persisted till someone from inside the office came to the reception and asked that Savita be sent inside to MD’s office after 10 minutes.
When she went in she found a 55 year old kindly looking man completely bald and dark in complexion in full suit. He just smiled at her and asked her to take her seat.
“I heard the commotion outside and had your file brought to me. I can understand your frustration in not finding a position despite your good credentials. I really do not know why you have been overlooked by many companies to whom we had referred your name amongst others. Tell me in brief about your family, what kind of job you are looking for and how much you are expecting. I can see you have no experience whatsoever”
Savita told about her being the only child of her mom with no father and after her retirement how the two were struggling unable to pay even the small rent. She added ”I have attended dozens of interviews and many companies held some entrance test. I always did well in them and yet when the interviews took place, I could discern a change in their attitude. To be born short and ugly is not my fault. My mom had no money to attend to my teeth. I need not be given a front office job but there is always some position in the inner office. I am at the end of my tether, sir.It was at the height of frustration and not knowing what to do, I created a scene in your office. I wished to give vent to my feelings though I was not sure if it would help. I am willing to do any clerical job at any salary that is applicable to the position. But I need one immediately. I am a quick learner and lack of experience should not matter. I would be indebted if you can find some position in any company” and wiped her eyes
In a choked voice the MD said “I understand. The world is cruel. Can you please wait for 15 minutes outside? I have some important work. I will call you. Don’t go away”
Exactly after 15 minutes, she was called in. He did not ask her to take her seat but asked to her to open an envelope lying on the table addressed to her name and read the contents. She could not believe her eyes when she noticed it was an appointment letter as a junior executive in this company and the salary was much beyond her expectations. It required her to join three days hence.
With tears welled up in her eyes, she proffered her hands to thank him.”Never mind. Take the other envelope on the table. It is an advance against your salary deductible in easy instalments.Buy some good dresses” he said
“Don’t take me amiss for not shaking hands to congratulate you. My right hand and right leg are artificial and I had undergone all the bitter experiences you had faced.It was then I started this company and my dad was a great support and encouragement. Since then I have helped countless number of differently abled boys and girls. Lucky you raised your voice and insisted on meeting me” he said and slowly stood up and ambled to her side.
“Go and share the good news with your mom. You will be working in my secretariat and gradually reduce my burden. Blessings to you” he said and bade her adieu.



12 comments:

  1. It is a world of sharks out there and it is tough to survive when such a situation arises, glad that you created a compassionate man for her plight, well written as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A great story!
    Very well written.
    I have always wondered why we are so obsessed with looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become a fan of yours. Waiting for your stories sir. Each one is short, simple and well written.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one. Many times looks, complexion.attire are given more prominence & the main purpose id los. I think we hv to be equitable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks matter everywhere nowadays. This is a very good story. Someone somewhere is always there to help, though the percentage is less. The persons with disabilities are sincere workers than others, I have seen, when I was working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One should not lose hope and I believe that talent eventually edges in though not saying that looks doesn't matter. Cos should always make an effort to reward merit.
    Cheers
    Vishal
    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very inspiring story..MD is really kind n loved his character,even savita is very inspiring.thanks for wishes kp ji

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh such a nice feel good story, how kind are thee really such nice people around :D this is truly inspiring one KP loved it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a lovely post, KP. Something in me moved... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Provided a Good feel touching the heart.It is none's fault that there are peacocks and owls among birds.The owls also have to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow..lovely story and message..good people do exist, if only in small numbers..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good people do exist, only in small number..I wish they outnumbered the mean ones..

    ReplyDelete